ASBURY BOOK COOPERATIVE
The Asbury Book Cooperative is an independent, community-run bookstore that serves as a literary hub and community space in the vibrant and diverse shore town of Asbury Park, New Jersey. Join us in this project of community leadership, economic democracy, and BOOKS!
Asbury Book Cooperative (ABC) is an outgrowth of words!, an independent bookstore that was a staple of downtown Asbury Park from 2008 to 2020. More than a place to buy books, words! was a center for workshops, book clubs, readings, signings, story times and other events. We are very proud that words!, our little-bookstore-that-could, evolved into ABC. We are excited to join the growing number of bookstores transitioning to cooperatives across the country.
There are several ways to become a member of ABC. Each member pays an annual fee which grants certain benefits and discounts. Each member gets one vote at the annual meeting, no matter their level of membership.
The board of directors is our decision-making body, made up of ABC members who serve two-year terms. ABC members nominate and elect the board of directors who help ensure the success of the bookstore through promotion of and commitment to the co-op.
Members can also join committees that have been established to focus our work on key areas: Events, Fundraising, Marketing, Membership, Partnerships and Racial and Social Justice. If you are interested in any of the committees, reach out to email@example.com.
Want to be part of the cooperative? It’s a choose-your-membership adventure! You can become a member online here.
We created a variety of levels so everyone can find one that works for them. Enjoy perks including discounts, member sale days, members-only events, and a better rate of exchange for used books you bring in.
- Solidarity $200: 15% discounts on all purchases. Invited to quarterly member sale days and special member events.
- Support $100: 10% discounts on all purchases. Invited to quarterly member sale days and special member events.
- Standard $50: 10% discounts on all purchases. Invited to quarterly member sale days.
- Sliding Scale $25-49: Choose your support level. 10% discounts on all purchases. Invited to quarterly member sale days.
- Local Author $100: 10% discounts on all purchases. Invited to quarterly member sale days and special member events.
- Youth $15: 18 years and under. 10% discounts on all purchases. Invited to quarterly member sale days.
We are very fortunate to have generous individuals who donate to ABC. We are grateful for donations of any amount to help sustain the work of the cooperative. You can donate online here.
INTERESTED IN HELPING?
Do you have experience with cooperatives, social media, event planning? Would you like to volunteer for shifts in the store, events, fundraising, etc? What skills do you have that could contribute to the co-op? Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd love to hear from you!